Thursday, July 29, 2010

Q & A: Thrashers Prospect Carl Klingberg

The Thrashers got a steal when they selected Carl Klingberg, the 6'3" LW out of Frolunda Jr. Klingberg made the transition to Frolunda's Elite League team last year, posting 13 points (6 G, 7 A) in 42 games. Klingberg is considered a contender to make the Thrashers this fall after a strong prospect camp.

Should Klingberg not make Atlanta, he will return to Frolunda and likely earn a spot on Sweden's U-20 National Team at the World Junior Championships in Buffalo. Klingberg plays a solid two way game and has a tireless work ethic and was rewarded with an entry-level contract from Atlanta in June.

I was fortunate enough to catch up with Carl and ask him a few quick questions about Frolunda, prospect camp, and playing his younger brother 1-on-1.

How would you assess last season in Frolunda from a personal standpoint?

I think it went good! I played good when I had the chance and was always playing good. I just want to play more next season and that's my goal.

How did you feel at prospect camp?

Good. I just couldn't get the puck into the net. But as long as I am playing as I should, I will score.

Was it easier going into prospect camp for the 2nd time?

For sure. I was remembering everything, and I knew what we were doing and so on. My English was much better too.

What is the biggest difference between the North American game and the Swedish game? Which style of play do you like more?

Size of the rink. In North America everything is forwards and backwards, in Sweden it is much more playing sideways. I prefer the North American style--that's my game.

The Thrashers have a lot of Swedes on their roster..does having players like Enstrom and Oduya help make the transition easier?

Well, I haven't met them yet, but of course to have some Swedes helps. They can explain everything and have been in my position before, so they know what it is about.

What area of your game have you worked the hardest on since being drafted?

My techincal skills. I want to carry the puck and not lose it as much as I sometimes did before.

Your brother John was drafted this year by Dallas as a defenseman. What was it like growing up in such a hockey family?

We have been pushing each other all the time and been playing on the street since we were five years [old]. It helps a lot. My father was always a helping hand too. He supported me all the time. I can't forget my grandpa either; they have always helped me.

Who wins a 1-on-1 battle...you or John?

Me! I am bigger, stronger, and so on. But give him five years and then we will see! But I will always try to break him.

TC

1 comment: